[mythtv-users] 64bit IDE RAID options?

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Mon Jan 9 22:36:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:26:18PM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> James C. Dastrup <jc at dastrup.com> says:
> > Is anyone aware of a PCI-X  64bit / 133MHz capable IDE RAID HBA?
> > Or, how about a PCI  64bit / 33 Mhz MHz capable IDE RAID HBA?
>
> People generally consider 3Ware's 7xxx (ATA) and 8xxx/9xxx-series
> (SATA) cards, which all support 64-bit/66MHz PCI-X, the standard for
> high-quality, reasonably-priced, true hardware RAID cards. (Or just
> for JBOD, as I'm doing with two 7506-4 cards and eight 400GB ATA
> drives I'm using in part for MythTV.)

I *really* like the performance of my Areca ARC-1120 8 port SATA PCI-X
card.  It beats the pants off of my 3ware 7450 and 8506.  I don't know
how it compares to  the 9xxx-series controllers.  Unfortunately, the
last time I checked the Areca folks hadn't got their drivers into the
kernel tree (2.6.14-mumble).  It annoyed me to have to unpack the
archive and tweak the Kconfig file, but I eventually got over it
(mostly ;-).

-- Trey