[mythtv-users] Fwd: Sempron 3100 lag when viewing HD from 6200 STB

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:49:35 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 16:35, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Adam Propeck wrote:
> > Here is some more detail. ( Xrog.conf and some hdparm info) I'm
> > wondering if livetv isn't playing well because of the specific
> > firewire port/driver? I'm using the single port that comes with the
> > audigy 2 PCI card I'm using. Also, I guess I was wondering if I need
> > to do anything specific with the fact that I'm using an Nforce 3
> > motherboard. Any tweaks that are recommended? Thanks, -Adam
>
> I think the problem is that fundamentally, the ATI driver does not
> provide hardware accelerated MPEG-2 playback and your Sempron cannot
> handle the software decoding without choking.  If you had an Nvidia card
> that supported XvMC you could enable that which would activate the
> hardware decoding and probably give you the performance you expect.
>
> Kevin

I'm going to have to agree, unless someone else is running a Sempron 3100 and
able to do live HDTV I'm going to have to think this is the case. I know my
Athlon64 3200+ has no room to spare playing live HD, I can easily imagine a
Sempron of lower clock speed having more trouble.
LiveTV requires a bit more resources from mythbackend and mythfrontend from
what I've noticed.

--
Steve