[mythtv-users] NFS or SAMBA for Video Stream

Johnathon Meichtry johnathon-dev at meichtry.org
Mon Jan 9 20:49:10 UTC 2006

Chris,

My thoughts are that Samba sucks and NFS rocks.  "Why?" I hear you ask, well for no other reason than personal observation ... when transferring a file by NFS and also by SMB the NFS transfer always tends to take 30-40% less time.  I have never bothered to look into the technical reasons why as I prefer to avoid Samba and SMB and only use NFS as it is very easy to tune/configure when mounting i.e. rsize, wsize etc.  I am sure you could tune samba to perform the same as NFS but I have never looked into it.

Johnathon