[mythtv-users] ATI X850 - TV-Out?

Andrew Casper andrew at casper.net
Mon Jan 9 17:09:34 UTC 2006

> Message: 16
> Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:47:17 -0500
> From: Raphael Pooser <rpooser at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] ATI X850 - TV-Out?
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>> Andrew Casper wrote:
>>

>>> I'm trying to go component out of my ATI Radeon X850 to my TV. I've
>>> tried many different edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but nothing seems
>>> to make it display anything more that 800x600. I'm trying to get
>>> 1920x1080 and DVI isn't an option right now.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience with this card? And is it possible to
>>> get  720P or 1080i from the TV-Out?
>>>

>> Can you use VGA, instead?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I have an x800 which is pretty much the same card.  I have not tried
> getting 720p or 1080i from the TV out.  However, if you have the
> component out connector, normally a bright red connector provided by
> ATI, it is supposed to be able to do HD.  I know I hooked up the
> component out connector in windows and in the ATI driver it detected
> that I had an HDTV setup.  I switched to DVI or vga though for this
> one.  On the x800 and probably x850 therefore, the 1080i looks like
> crap.  It was much nicer looking on my 9700pro.  720p is fine.
> One thing to check, your TV might have component input for SD (for
> some
> DVD players and such) as well as for HD, but it cares about which
> inputs
> you use of course.  If you hook your ATI component out to the
> component
> in on your TV that can only do SD, then you aren't going to get
> anywhere, and typically it would max out at 1024x768.  It could be
> only
> able to 800x600 in your tv though.  On my TV the SD component in will
> literally take no resolution other than 640x480 from my computer
> (probably would take 720x480 didn't test).  I know on my TV it has
> a ton
> of composite, svideo, and component inputs for SD, and one component
> input for HD, and it's important which component input I use.
> Actually
> makes me wonder why the heck my TV has so many SD inputs and only two
> for HD.
> Raphael

Thanks Raphael. It is not an issue with the TV - it is HD Ready and
takes the HD component out of my cable box with no complaints. My
question is more a driver issue. ATI is very proud to have a Linux
driver, but they don't explain how to use it very well and they're
support is just ridiculous.

Should I be seeing the model information when using FC4?