[mythtv-users] IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write() --- WTH?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 03:52:21 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:
> elevator=cfq didnt help in my setup. I never got around to moving my
> recordings to jfs file system. So, I'm just using 16MB buffer and
> seldom had iobound problem. I added another hard drive and formatted
> it as xfs file system. But the recording is still on ext3.

I'm already running JFS, and elevator=deadline, which seemed to have
the best overall performance for HD playback during recording.

It's been a while since this the thread mentioning buffer sizes was
started. Is there any way to modify this outside of a recompile?

FWIW, I don't have this problem under ANY other circumstances. I
routinely (not during this recording or occurance) copy multi-gig
files to/from this box via SMB. There are (4) other machines in this
myth cluster that do transcode / commflag / playback (all reads I
realize) via NFS, and don't have this problem. I can copy files from
one drive to the raid array, and back, no such problem occurs.

This appears to be a mythbackend problem, not an OS/hardware problem,
best that I can tell.