[mythtv-users] question about RAID

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 18:20:48 UTC 2006

--- Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in need of setting up RAID for my recordings
> drive since now I'm able to
> capture 2 HD + 1SD at a time, plus want to be able
> to do commercial flagging,
> and for the time being, playback at least 1 HD
> stream.
>
> I ordered 2 new harddrives which, while different
> than my current recordings
> drive are the same size, so if needed I can use all
> three.
>
> My question is, would it be better to use the
> onboard RAID controller on my
> motherboard or the software RAID linux has?
>
> I plan on doing a RAID0 since I'm not too worried
> about loosing my data, but
> more worried about overall speed. I plan on backing
> up any recordings I want
> to save to another drive (which hopefully will be a
> RAID5 as my next drive
> project).
>
> Thanks for the help!
> --
> Steve

It really depends on the controller itself.

Most of the controllers included on motherboards
nowadays are just software-based controllers anyway,
so you'd be using CPU horsepower to control them.

I did some research into this when my employer was
looking to rebuild a server - he wanted to go SATA
hardware RAID, so we now have a nice expensive 3ware
card.

Here's a page with some information about SATA RAID,
with cards listed by hardware RAID or software RAID
(aka fakeraid):
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

-- Joe