[mythtv-users] access denied for remote frontend

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Jan 7 19:25:46 UTC 2006

> And was shown in the original e-mail (albeit, slightly obscured).  ;)
> Just make sure the Myth box isn't connected directly to the 'net.

Yeah, I know.  If they get through the firewall, I'd be worried
about more than just the mythtv box...

Thanks for the replies.  I eventually got it working last night.

I'm ashamed to say it was as simple as a mistyped password.

It was set up with one of those auto-generated uncrackable but
also unmemorable passwords.  When I connected via the mysql command
line client, I cut and paste the password directly from
an image of /etc/mythtv/msql.conf from an ssh session into the
mythtv backend.  That worked.  When I configured the frontend,
it ran fullscreen and I typed the password into the gui from my
(flawed) memory.

Oh well.

Eric