[mythtv-users] Troubles viewing 1080i and even 720p

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 7 19:00:10 UTC 2006

Steve Adeff wrote:

>On Saturday 07 January 2006 13:18, Adam Propeck wrote:
>

>>Are HDTV's not able of EDID via DVI? That's how I fixed my problems with my
>>projector and not knowing the correct ModeLines. I checked the xorg log and
>>low and behold I found the correct Modelines that were being returned by my
>>projector as valid. I used that one for 720p and I turned on Linear
>>deinterlacing and lost all the crappy motion blur I had been fighting with.
>>
>Yes, most do supply EDID data, which newer Nvidia and ATI drivers print out to
>the Xorg.log. They're not always perfect and might need tweaking, but they
>are the best starting point as they're usually dead on or very near it.

Unless the manufacturer decides that users "can't handle the truth."
The EDID data from my 1080p TV (1920x1080) lists 1024x768 or 1280x960 or
something as it's highest supported resolution.  The user who knows what
he/she is doing can ignore the EDID data and use full resolution instead
of using a "standard computer" resolution.

Mike