[mythtv-users] replaceing a Hauppage 150 with a pvr 500

weeny canx11 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 7 11:15:03 UTC 2006

 Stephen Kitchener:
> I did try as you suggested and the output is below..
> ivtvctl -a gives

Did you try ivtvctl -a with the device option each for the
corresponding /dev/video devices? I think per default it only checks the
first one...

> ioctl IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC ok
> Codec parameters
> aspect      : 2
> audio       : 0x00e9
> bframes     : 3
> bitrate_mode: 0
>         Frame period: 1/25
>         Frame lines : 625
> ioctl VIDIOC_G_STD ok

...the next line looks like the tuner is set to pal (0xff):

> Video standard = 0x000000f f
> Brightness = 383
> Contrast = 63
> Saturation = 63
> Hue = 0
> Volume = 58880
> Mute = 1
> Dosn't this look like there is only one tuner being found.....but the
> messages in dmesg seem to conflict with this, dmesg (Part of) is below...
> ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
> ivtv:  version 0.4.1 (tagged release) loading
> ivtv:  Linux version: 2.6.12-12mdk 686 gcc-4.0
> ivtv:  In case of problems please include the debug info between

From the rest of you dmesg output it really looks fine with detecting properly
both first and second card. Did you explictly tell ivtvctl to set up the
settings for /dev/video0 and seperatly for /dev/video1? Also to tune the card
you need to tell ivtv-tune to talk to the respective devices....

What frequency to use:
When i first wondered what frequency to use i just ran scantv and it detected
the proper channels which are stored to .tv/stations in your home per
default. Maybe use scantv (part of xawtv...) to check whether it can find
some channels. The channel numbers then can be used with ivtv-tune to switch