[mythtv-users] fc4.ppc, Mac Mini and MythTV

Brian Edmonds mornir at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 06:24:33 UTC 2006

On 1/6/06, Matt Hannan <matthannan1 at cox.net> wrote:
> WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN?!?!?! Champion! Do you have someplace online where
> Ican read how you did this? A blog or random notes or anything?

Unfortunately not.  I think I pretty much covered everything I did in
that post though.  the only two breakthroughs were to turn off the
previews, which stopped the backend crashes, and to record raw audio,
which "fixed" the loud static problem with audio from the ConvertX.
Beyond that I think it was a pretty standard mythTV compile from the
0.18.1 sources.

> What version of Deb are you using?

I'm running Debian unstable, but I don't see why the current stable
shouldn't be just as good, since they didn't diverge that long ago;
after I got the Mini at any rate, IIRC.  I did build my own kernel
(2.6.11), since it required a tiny hack to make sound work at all at
the time.  This may well be fixed in more recent kernels.

> You can configure your frontend to look at a backend share for your music.

Do you mean an NFS share?  That's not good enough for me, as I do a
lot of my work on a laptop which doesn't mount NFS from my main
server.  (In fact it's behind NAT from the main server, since it's
work equipment and they provide an extra wireless router for security
reasons.)  I want something that works like the basic mythTV, where
all you need is one network connection to the database and one to the
master backend.  Anything else is just a hack that's not really part
of the myth, IMO.

> Do you think I could pull it off in Ubuntu?

I don't see why not, offhand.

Brian.