[mythtv-users] fc4.ppc, Mac Mini and MythTV

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 00:14:19 UTC 2006

> I'm personally interested in his success with MythTV, Mac Mini and
> Linux. If I find out that that it works well for him, I might be in the
> same boat and want to go buy one too. I could care less about OSX or any
> of the applications designed to run on OSX. If I get one it'll be
> running linux with mythtv and nothing else. But not to be too frank
> about it, I've used iTunes... I personally think its inadequate and
> quirky as a media management tool. The purpose for iTunes, above all
> else, is for you to buy music from Apple and make Apple stock go up.
> Everything else is just icing. If I were to use something like iTunes as
> a media management tool for a desktop (which again, has little to do
> with mythtv...) I'd be more inclined to use something that doesn't run
> so badly with the size of my library much like mediamonkey. But I have
> to ask, why should a mythtv list even care what I think about tools like
> this?
>
> -Mike

I don't know if you are aware of this, Mike, but there is a working frontend
available for OS X.  Apparently there isn't one available for FC4 on the Mac
Mini.

If one was going to use a Mac Mini as a dedicated frontend, OS X would seem
to be the obvious choice for the operating system (I understand that Matt is
using Fedora for other reasons).  Not only is it the only operating system
anybody has gotten Myth working under on that platform, but it is included
in the price of the machine.

Given that OS X is a perfectly reasonable choice of operating system for a
Mac Mini myth box, and absent a religious devotion to Linux, one might
consider using iTunes for music, don't you think?

I can certainly empathize with Matt's plight.  I recently went through a
similar experience, except in my case, it was MythMusic that I found
execrable and iTunes that I wanted to be using, and I had to jump through
hoops to get Windows working on a box which had previously been a KnoppMyth
frontend.

I like iTunes, but don't harbor any delusions that it is the end all and be
all of music library software.  I have an iPod though,  which enhances
iTunes value in my eyes.  I find that the $.99 transactions which enhance
Apple's stock price, as you say, provide me with at least $.99 worth of
enloyment, so I make them willingly.

Believe it or not, Matt, some people use Linux because they think it is good
software, not just because they are communists.