[mythtv-users] replaceing a Hauppage 150 with a pvr 500

weeny canx11 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 6 19:59:39 UTC 2006

Am Freitag 06 Januar 2006 18:26 schrieb Stephen Kitchener:
> Hi,
>
> I must be doing something wrong that is really basic, but I have tried to
> replace my Hauppauge 150 with a  Hauppauge pvr 500 and all I get is noise
> on the signal, ie no picture...
>
> When I put the 150 back all is well...(After I delete the setup for the 500
> and reset for the 150)
>
> When I replaced the TV card I re-ran the setup program for mythtv and
> deleted the card details, I added the card twice, once each for each of the
> tuners and selected video0 for the first and video1 for the second, I then
> allocated "tuner" for each of the separate parts of the card.
>
> Did I missed anything, do I need to re-populate the database ?, I did it
> anyway but there was no change...
>
> I suppose that I could have a dead card, but hopefully not..
>

> Any help appreciated.
>
> Steve K
Hi Steve,

maybe your tuner settings are not correct. I had a similar problem when my
card was set to the wrong tuner type. You could try to first check the
current settings for both devices using command line tool from ivtv

ivtvctl --a  # (get all the current settings ....)

[...]
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMINPUT
        Input   : 0
        Name    : Tuner
        Type    : 0x00000001
        Audioset: 0x00000003
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x00000000000000FF ( PAL )
        Status  : 0
[...]

and try to set them manually with the ivctl -u option (e.g. 0xff for pal...)
and after that try to t to tune the channels using something like

ivtv-tune -feurope-west -cE7

and check with

cat /dev/video[0,1] >  /tmp/out.mpg (...open file in xine or vlc)

wether you receive some correct frequencies. For details about ivtv when i set
up my card i used the information from http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto

Regards,

weeny