[mythtv-users] dvd image files dont all play.

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Jan 6 14:35:54 UTC 2006

hondaman <hondaman at gmail.com> says:
> I have lots of archived dvd images in .iso format.  Some of them play,
> some of them dont.  Is there an easy explanation why?  The ones that
> dont play in mythtv play on my pc using vlc so I know they work.

VLC (and Xine) support DVD menus; mplayer (which I'll bet you're using
as the MythVideo player for .isos) does not support menus. I'll bet
that your player command line for .iso looks something like

mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device %s

This plays the first track, which on most DVDs contains the movie (as
opposed to the trailer, special features, etc.). However, not all
DVDs adhere to this standard. What you'll have to do for those that
don't is to create a special mplayer command. If track five contains
the movie (as is the case on one of my DVD images) you'd amend dvd://
to dvd://5.

The easier solution may be to switch to xine, which can also play
.isos straight from the command line although I don't have the proper
syntax right in front of me. I haven't made the change myself yet, but
probably will as DVD menu support is, after all, a nice thing, and the
mplayer featureset hasn't seen meaningful changes in years. It's sad
as a longtime user and fan to say so, but I fear that the mplayer
developers' notorious obstinancy has finally caught up to them.