[mythtv-users] fc4.ppc, Mac Mini and MythTV

Matt Hannan matthannan1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 6 02:09:52 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2006, at 6:34 PM, Matt Hannan wrote:
>
>> Mike wrote:

>>> You seriously don't know why he'd want MythMusic instead of  iTunes?
>>> Have you ever used brand name iTunes on linux? (HA HA)  Have you
>>> ever used Linux? Have you ever used MythTV? Do you  understand the
>>> conceptual 'point' of what all this stuff is and does?
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>>
>> OH MY GOD!!! THANK YOU!!!!!
>>
>> And I thought about this for a bit. My biggest pet peeve with iTunes:
>> playlists.
>> Who thinks that is a good idea? Not me!
>> If I come home from the record shoppe (Yes, I actually BUY physical
>> pieces of plastic encoded in various ways with music) with 5 new
>> CD's and a couple of LP's (Audacity rules!), after I get done
>> ripping them and setting up the ID3 tags, the last thing I want to
>> do is have to manually add them to a freaking playlist! They should
>> just be there. I set MythMusic to look at a directory and it plays
>> anything in that directory (Yes, I set my only "playlist" in
>> MythMusic to "All my music"). Having to add the files to the iTunes
>> library is the biggest waste of my time I have ever encountered. If
>> I want to listen to music, it just is there.
>>
>> Mike, rock on. At least someone understands!
>>
>> Matt
>
> You do know that you can use the Browse bar, right? Command-B (Ctrl-B
> on Windows). I have mine on by default so I forget that some people
> don't know it's there. Click your artist, double-click your album and
> it starts playing. How much easier do you need it to be? The only
> time I use playlists is when I'm burning a compilation CD.
>
> "Adding files to the Library is the biggest waste of time?" Really?
> Dragging and dropping a folder of music onto the iTunes window is
> that time-consuming? Or maybe the time it takes to select File>Add
> Folder to Library, choose the folder and click OK if you don't like
> drag and drop. Or are you talking about how hard it is to add a CD
> you've just bought to the Library? You know.. popping it in, waiting
> for it to finish, then taking the CD out again.
>
> Please tell me how much easier it is to do these things in MythMusic
> so I can switch.
>
> Thanks,

Brad

Brad,
Please. You are killing me.

No keyboard or mouse on Mini. No CTRL-B. No drag anything. I have a
remote control for the box, that is it.

And so far I am only proving that it is [i]impossible[/i] to Myth [u]in
Linux[/u] on a Mac! Which was totally not what I set out to do.

I am not in a single machine environment. My main workstation is Suse
10.0. My server is FC2 (hey, it still runs like a champ! why screw with
it?). The picture frame on my wall is XP and my TV/stereo machine is the
Mac Mini, which was OS X Tiger, but is now FC4. I do not store my MP3's
all willy-nilly "because iTunes will do the sorting". I store them based
This has evolved over years of ripping my music collection. I am closing
in on 9000 mp3 files, organized in a way that I like and that has proven
to work, on the server. Do you know what a pain in the arse it is to
reorganize this because I mistakenly fire up iTunes and have not reset
that "Let iTunes F with your collection because we know better than you"
check box? Same story in WMP, which runs on a laptop I have here.

iTunes works for you. Good. Fine. Go enjoy it.
iTunes does not work for me. Good. Fine. I will not use it if I do not
have to.

Getting MythMusic to work is not the goal here. Getting MythTV, as a
whole, to work within Linux on PowerPC hardware is.

Thank you.
Matt