[mythtv-users] access denied for remote frontend

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 5 18:29:53 UTC 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Steve.
>
>> On Thursday 05 Jan 2006 16:16, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> You need to change mysql's startup file...
>>
>> /etc/sysconfig/mysqld
>
> I assume you mean /etc/mysql/my.cnf.
>
>> eg...
>>
>> # (oe) Remove --skip-networking to enable network access from
>> # non local clients. Access from localhost will still work.
>> # MYSQLD_OPTIONS="--skip-networking"
>> MYSQLD_OPTIONS=""
>>
>> # (oe) set TMPDIR and TMP environment variables
>> TMPDIR="${datadir}/.tmp"
>> TMP="${TMPDIR}"
>
> How does this help?
>
> As I said, I have no problems connecting to the mysql server
> from the remote frontend using the mysql command line client.
> The mysql server is configured for remote network access and it
> works.  The problem is not a skip-networking setting or anything
> like that.  If it was, I couldn't connect at all.
>
> I have tmpdir set to /tmp.  I've not read anything that suggests
> that this setting would be important, provided that /tmp has
> sufficent space.
>
> The problem seems to be that the mythfrontend client is not sending
> the right password or not sending it in the right way.  I can't
> figure out why.
>
> Eric

I've had problems with invalid characters in passwords before. Not
specifically with myth, but if I have an FTP account with a slash in
the password, I can connect with some clients, but not others. Maybe
something along the same lines is happening here? Try changing your
password to alphanumeric (if not already) and try again. If it
already is, sorry for the noise. :)