[mythtv-users] samsung TV and firewire output

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 17:58:29 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:19, Todd Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering purchasing a Samsung 4667W TV.  This
> TV has 2 firewire input/output ports.  I realize that
> myth does not currently support recording from the
> FireWire ports of TVs, but it is something that I
> would like to try--it should be similar to using
> FireWire on a cable box, right?  I came across an
> article in "The Perfect Vision" magazine about
> FireWire output on another Samsung TV.  To quote the
> article:
>
> "I attempted to make a recording on an RCA DVR, ....
> The HL-R5668 had no problem recognizing the RCA DVR,
> and the set was able to play and fast-scan any of the
> recordings I had previously stored on it. However, the
> Samsung would not allow me to record any new cable
> content on the DVR. Instead, it displayed an on-screen
> notice that the content was copy-protected. This
> occurred with my local digital-broadcast channels
> (terrestrial channels that are rebroadcast on digital
> cable) as well as premium content such as HBO. Copy
> restrictions are prohibited on rebroadcast channels,
> so that couldn't have been the problem.
>    "I finally learned from Samsung that the HL-R5668
> does not have a PID (Program Identifier) filter. This
> filter is essential for recording digital-cable
> signals, which carry two complete HD channels in the
> same 6MHz bandwidth as single-channel over-the-air
> broadcasts. A program ID filter allows only one
> channel to pass through the FireWire cable to the
> recorder, which can't record two channels at once. ...
> The Samsung rep I spoke with assured me that digital
> recordings of terrestrial broadcasts can be performed,
> but I didn't try it."
>
> So, if I understand this correctly, it's not possible
> to record from the TVs firewire ports if it is fed a
> cable TV signal.  (I realize that I could use the
> firewire output from the cable box instead).  But, if
> I use an antenna to recieve channels OTA, will I have
> the same problem.  Do you concur?
>
> Ultimately, I'd like to use mythtv to record from the
> FireWire output of the TV. Is there any hope of doing
> that with this TV?  I did read the thread from a
> couple of weeks ago about using HAVi to control a
> TV--might be fun to try with this TV, if I can get
> over the above problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

there is no copy protection for OTA, why would there be, they're giving it out
for free to begin with.

As for recording *from* the tv, is this so you can record OTA stuff? I don't
see when you would otherwise want to be able to do this when you could just
connect the device your feeding the TV into the MythTV computer directly?

--
Steve