[mythtv-users] Re: Large LCD Televisions?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 14:31:53 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 08:24, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> James C. Dastrup wrote:
> >>start yet). With HDMI/DVI, though the terminal does creep off the
> >>screen (meaning I can't actually see the cursor :-)), the clarity
> >>of the ascii chars is crystal; with the PC input, the letters are
> >>blurry and seem to be be shuddering quite a bit.
> >
> > If the text is blurry using the PC Input, you must not be displaying text
> > in the LCD's native resolution.  There's no reason text should be blurry
> > or shuddering.
>
> Actually, DVI vs VGA does make a very visible difference for text
> display on a high resolution LCD (>= 1600x1200), at least up close. I am
> not sure if it's visible from a distance, but it's definitely there.
>
> Bolek

as well it could, VGA is analog, DVI/HDMI can be digital, and for many HDTV's
is.

The problem, as with any connection type, is that the hardware creating the
signal and the hardware receiving the signal varies. Its like the early Coax
vs optical S/PDIF connection debate.
All the snobby audiophiles argued over it, many saying Coax was in fact better
than optical, when in reality the issue was that the electronics for creating
and receiving the coax signal was of higher quality than the optical
electronics at the time. Since then the optical parts have caught up and its
a wash, depending more on individual components than the type of connection.

--
Steve