[mythtv-users] Fwd: Problem with XvMC being slow

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 06:21:26 UTC 2006

When using XvMC to play back video, CPU usage is low (30% for HD, 10%
for SD), but the video plays back slower than realtime.  I'm using an
Nvidia 5200 card, with driver version 7667 (although I've tried every
version up to the current 8XXX).

 Is there anything I should check?  Anything obviously wrong from the
following details?  Or is this the XvMC slowdown I've read about?
What are my options for fixing this?

 If I use libmpeg2, SD plays back fine (~30% CPU), but HD maxes out
the CPU.  I'm using current SVN myth as of a couple of days ago.
/etc/X11/XvMCConfig points to libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1.  My GUI is
1280x720.  I'm not using any filters, and I have Enable OpenGL
vertical sync for timing checked.

 Myth was compiled with:
 --prefix=/usr --disable-joystick-menu --enable-xvmc
--enable-opengl-vsync --cpu=i686 --enable-mmx

 Here's part of the ./configure output:

 # Video Output Support
 x11 support      yes
 xrandr support   yes
 xv support       yes
 XvMC support     yes
 XvMC VLD support no
 XvMC pro support no
 XvMC libs        -lXvMCW
 OpenGL vsync     yes
 DirectFB         no

 I've included the output of mythfrontend -v playback, as well as my
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.

 Thanks,
 Jerry