[mythtv-users] Strange recording and playback issues after crash

Bruce J Keeler bruce at drangle.com
Thu Jan 5 00:37:19 UTC 2006

A few days ago, my myth system suffered a power loss.  Ever since, it
has been suffering from two problems.  Recorded programs have chunks
dropped, and lots of the following errors get logged:

        Jan  2 16:01:19 localhost kernel: ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #0
        Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

List archives suggest that this is due to mythbackend not reading the
data from the PVR250 fast enough, but don't suggest any reason why that
would be the case, though one suggested fscking the recordings partition
which I did to no avail.  A SMART self-test ran without errors.  A
bonnie++ run seemed to indicate reasonable disk performance.

When playing back programs (even programs that recorded prior to the
power loss event), I get some odd behavior while skipping ahead and
back.  The total program time varies, sometimes by a few seconds,
sometimes by outrageous amounts (e.g. something like 768:45:22 might be
displayed for program length).  The skip takes a second or two to
complete, and the picture stutters and goes all pixelly.  Pre-crash,
skips were always instantaneous.

Recording is via a PVR250, playback is through X on an FX5200.  Hardware
and software configuration has not been touched for ages.

Linux mythbox 2.6.12-20050717 #3 Thu Sep 1 18:53:47 PDT 2005 i686
GNU/Linux
Jan  1 14:15:06 localhost kernel: ivtv: version 0.2.0 (rc3j) loading
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ stepping 00
512MB memory.

Can anyone suggest what to look for here?