[mythtv-users] upsampling/upconverting dvd?

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:46:42 UTC 2006

Looking at standalone DVD players, many of them claim to be
"upsampling" or "upconverting".  If I understand correctly, this
means that they do some kind of magic to upconvert/upsample the DVD
video to 720p or 1080i.

If that definition is accurate, does the upsampling make a
(positive) difference?

And if it does make a difference, is there any way to achieve
something similar under MythTV?

Basically, I've got a nice HD 720p/1080i TV on the way, and I'd like
to consolidate AV equipment as much as possible (i.e., can I do away
with the standalone DVD player?  MythTV already lets me do away with
the DVR provided by the cable company.)

Thanks!
Matt

--