[mythtv-users] Overkill...

Fredrik Karlsson dargosch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:15:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

My initial reaction is "why not MythTV?". You don't have to have the
frontend running if you don't set the backend to shut down the
computer when it isn't. The EPG is handy though..
I would install  mythweb and just tne backend  (for recording) and
share the recording directory to other machines on the network with
SMB or NFS.

if you still want something really basic, the ivtv-encoder program in
combination with a crontab?

/Fredrik

On 1/4/06, CascadeHush <cascadehush at internode.on.net> wrote:
> The main reason I continue to use XP on one of my PCs is my Hauppage
> 150 TV Tuner card, which I use to record TV according to a schedule I
> have set up.  This particular PC is my main file server, as well as
> being a digital VCR (I don't want to say PVR, because that implies
> certain types of functionality, most of which I find pretty
> useless).  I'd prefer to switch this machine over to linux, if I can
> get the same functionality.
>
> I've had a look at MythTV, and whilst it's all very impressive, it is
> overkill for what I want.  I just want a way to schedule TV
> recordings.  I don't want a fancy front end, I don't want an
> electronic program guide... I'm not looking to build a media box.  I
> just want something totally anonymous, that sits on my network and
> records TV programs to a HD.  And then, when I want to watch them, it
> will be in whatever program, on whatever platform I happen to be
> using at the time, and when I do, I will open the file directly as I
> would open any other file.
>
> Is there a way to do this with MythTV... or is there another program
> which will do this under linux?
>
> It seems that MythTV has both a back and front end, and perhaps the
> answer is to just run the back end, but I wonder if this is possible?

My Gentoo + PVR-350 + IVTV + MythTV blog is on
http://gentoomythtv.blogspot.com/