[mythtv-users] Updating list of HDTV tuners for the HOWTO

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Tue Jan 3 23:02:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:45:19PM -0800, Mudit Wahal wrote:
> Actually, for QAM, I can understand the ratings. But for OTA, there
> are other factors such as your antenna, line of sight, cable quality,
> etc etc. One man's 9.5 may be someone else's 1 ! You can't compare OTA
> between two cards as everyone's setup is different.

I competely agree antenna, line of sight, cable and splitter quality
makes more of a difference than the tuner chip.  The lite model I've
heard from several people here and other forums that compared to other
cards it doesn't do as well, and it's a slight larger difference than
what's found between other types of cards in the same situation.

I'm using the generation of the tuner chips, the multipath cancelation
in the chips, and the user feedback (I've followed most every one on
this list and other sites for over 2 years).  I feel comfortable though
saying my thoughts are slightly more than just opinion.  There are
certain areas that cause the bring the best or worst of the cards out.
Someone say in downtown new york is more likely to see the newest tuner
chips with better multipath cancelation do slightly better than someone
in the country.  But then someone in the country with a bad splitter
could generate multipath that can faul up any tuner.

--Brandon