[mythtv-users] What Windows codec do I need to play avi's from mythencode?

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:06:05 UTC 2006

2006/1/3, Kirk Grell <kirkgrell at yahoo.com>:

> I've converted some nuv files to avi's using
> mythencode, but I can't seem to play them on my
> Windows machine.

You didn't say what type of nuv files you have, software encoded
(mpeg4/rtjpeg) or mpeg2 (dvb/pvr card)
If it's mpeg2 try videolan client ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ )

You could also try the windows filters i wrote (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsmyth/ ) this will allow you to play nuv
files without converting it, you still need an mpeg4 codec if you have mpeg4
nuv files.
Depending on what version of mythtv you use they may not work well with
mpeg2 files from dvb (yet).
It also contains a few shell extensions like tooltips and an convert to avi
option for mpeg4 nuvs (no recompression).