[mythtv-users] Redirecting PVR-350 audio to soundcard for live TV / playback

Jan Kat jan-kat at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 2 19:58:01 UTC 2006

After googling this problem for over a week, I'm beginning to think
there is no solution.  But hopefully someone here can tell me once and
for all if this can be done or if it can't and I just need to let it go
and move on.

My setup:

Compaq DeskPro EN SFF - 400MHz Celeron (Mendocino), 128MB RAM, ES1869
onboard sound

WinTV PVR-350 (model 48132, rev. K268) w/ tuner LG TAPE H001F MK3 (type
47)

Gentoo 2005.4, kernel 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 (gentoo-sources)

IVTV 0.4.0 (latest from IVTV site)

MythTV 0.18.1-r1 (emerged)

My problem (and some history):

The PC is a small form factor originally intended as a network
appliance.  Painted black, it looks sharp with my other stereo
components.  However, there is no audio line-in on the rear bezel nor
pinned out on the motherboard.

I started with a 2.4 kernel but couldn't tune in any stations; an
upgrade to 2.6 seems to have fixed that (though it could have been one
of the many other things I tried).  Everything works, but the audio from
live TV and playback comes through the PVR-350 (in MythVideo, mplayer
plays video through the PVR-350 and audio through the ES1869).

As noted, I can't loopback audio from the PVR-350 to the ES1869 as there
is no line-in.  I know that audio can be pulled directly over the PCI
bus from bttv cards; I'm wondering if the same can be done with a
PVR-350, and how I would set that up?

I read that MythTV 0.18.1 fixes "live TV audio loss when viewing mpeg2
transport streams."  That sure sounds like my problem, but maybe I've
misconfigured something so that bug fix isn't implemented?  Maybe
Gentoo's MythTV-0.18.1-r1 is configured a certain way and I need to
unmerge it and download and compile directly from the MythTV site?

I have one PCI slot free so I can put another sound card in, but I find
this solution distasteful as I already have a perfectly good (if
incomplete) sound card on the motherboard (which took some effort to set
up, too).  But if I have no choice, I have no choice.