[mythtv-users] Trouble with Install... Gave up unless help can be given. :(

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Mon Jan 2 03:59:21 UTC 2006

Aaron wrote:

> QUESTION #1 ->  How do I uninstall Fedora Core 4 from this machine so
> I no longer have to use GRUB and select Windows XP everytime I boot up?

You could just configure Grub to boot XP by default after a very short
time-out - then you won't have to select XP. Otherwise, if you repair
your Windows installation, I _think_ it will repair the MBR with the
Windows boot loader.

> This is where my next problem came.  I ran 'irw' as per documented to
> see if I could get any commands to display.  IRW executed and dropped
> a line down, but then did nothing.  It appeared to be frozen.  I hit
> CONTROL+C to cancel, and it dropped another line before displaying the
> prompt.  I opened up /var/log/messages and saw that the port was
> closed as soon as I ran IRW.  I thought it might have been something
> wrong with access rights, but I did all the appropriate steps (chmod
> or whatever it is).
> QUESTION #2 -> What am I doing wrong?  What am I missing?

Do you have lircd running when you run irw? I seem to recall that I came
across a similar problem, and it turned out that I have lircd running
when I shouldn't have had. I also had a weird thing where irw would work
on the local console, but not over SSH.

> This was all done Wednesday night, Thursday morning.  It is now Sunday
> Night.  I have installed, formated installed, reinstalled,
> repartitioned, and begged the chat room for help but nobody seems to
> know anything about my problem.  So my last ditch effort is here on
> the mailing list.  If nobody else can help me, I'll have to give up
> completely and probably got with Winblows MCE :( :( :(

There a many people here you have spent a *lot* longer than a few days
to get their Myth boxes running. If you want a system that is easily
set-up and requires low maintenance, and you can live without the added
functionality in Myth, then MCE might be the appropriate choice for you.

Cheers,

Jon