[mythtv-users] Serious concerns about LiveTV Ringbuffer chang es - a Q for develo pers

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 23:01:36 UTC 2006

On 12/31/05, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Steve Adeff wrote:
>
> > I'd still think it would be worth paying the $500 for a UPS for
> > that system,
> > save yourself the hassle of a power outtage destroying some of
> > those drives.
> > Happened to me once and thats why I use a UPS now =)
> >
> > Speaking of APC... I might have a job interview with them next
> > week... I don't
> > know how this helps, but having been unemployed for a few months
> > I'm excited
> > =D
>
> I just set up an APC Smart-UPS SC1500. Tells me I have 63 minutes of
> battery at 100% charge. USB plug & play was nice. Just install the
> software, configure and go. I got it for around $350. I can also get
> a bunch of dumb (cheap) UPS's for my other boxes and use this one to
> shut down other systems when it detects the power is out after X
> minutes. It's also nice to get emails telling me when the battery
> needs to be replaced or that the power went out, came back on, etc.
> Great investment for peace of mind.
>
> Are you interviewing in RI? I live relatively close to APC's HQ.

I bought one of these:

http://www.sierrasolar.com/prod_store/I_trace_ur-ups.html

and have 2 marine battery's hooked up to it.  Originally I
frankensteined a APC unit to use 2 mairne batteries, but it cooked the
batteries after about 13 months.  With this set up I get about 4-6
hours of backup time running my dsl modem, my web/mail server (a 600
mhz alpha), my mythbackend, and my fileserver.  I haven't gotten
around to hooking up the APC again with it's orginial batteries, so
that I can have it automatically shut down the file server and
mythbackend with power failures to increase my server up time.  Plus
with this system I can add extra batteries if my demands increase, I
need more time or theoretically I could have a spare or 2 and charge
them off site if I had extended power outages.  the cost is pretty
decent for the power and time you get.  Just have to stay on top of
the battery maintenence (which I'm not too good at).

I get really bad video playback of HD livetv via the ring buffer so
I'm hoping the new changes help correct that, if I don't find anything
else to help first.