[mythtv-users] My wireless keyboard/mouse/remote setup

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 21:10:14 UTC 2006

On 1/1/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> I made sure
> to get an IR keyboard/mouse so I could teach the codes to my remote;
> this way I haven't had to bother with lirc.

That's a benefit I hadn't thought of. Does it work ok?

> I bought an ACK-581 (<URL:http://www.directron.com/ack581.html>).

I went the RF route, with a BTC 9019URF
(http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21keyboard.htm#9019urf). The
advantages of this one are:
* Good range for RF. The specs state 10ft/3m, but I've no problem
exceeding that.
* Compact and easy to handle. The handles on the sides are
particularly good for passing the keyboard around.
* Joystick works as either a mouse or a joystick. I have had it
working with MAME, though it's not really a good enough joystick for
games. It works well in MythTV as a joystick though.

It's become our controller of choice. I've got a lirc setup as well
but the keyboard is just so much more reliable and convenient that we
don't bother with the remote at all.

Steve