[mythtv-users] I'm getting TV-Out Flicker

Allan McIntosh amcintosh at atreus-systems.com
Sun Jan 1 18:02:51 UTC 2006

Jim Duda wrote:

>> Does anyone have any ideas which might explain the flicker?  I
>> realize that "flicker" is hard to describe.
>

> When you say flicker, do you mean the playback stutters or pauses?
>
> The playback doesn't stutter or pause.  What I see are white lines
> shooting across the image.  The lines are broken up.  Best I can
> describe it as small white checker boxes randomly shooting across the
> screen.  You can see the image clearly, the white checkerboxes are
> just very distracting.  It's almost like what one would call "static"
> on an analog TV signal.

What resolution are you recording at? I found since ivtv 3.8 when
recording at 640x480 I would occasionally see a mangled frame.

There are links to an example mpeg and screen capture here:

http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-devel/2005-December/001432.html

I strictly use 720x480 and have not seen any mangled frames since.   I
am currently running ivtv 4.0, I have not upgraded to 4.1 to see if
there is any change.

Hmm, does this describe the behaviour you're seeing?