[mythtv-users] ASUS mobo woes

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Mon Feb 27 16:09:50 UTC 2006

OK, putting together a new front-end box and I chose an ASUS P5P800 mobo and a P4
3200.

Any users out there successfully running this board? Mine won't install. With FC4 anaconda
fails real early with a kernel panic, something about not syncing. Knopmyth install fails with a
kernel panic stating "only one processor found" or some such. No logs, of course because
the install with either OS doesn't get far enough to create them, and most of the text
displayed runs off the screen. Funny thing is, WinXP loaded fine, as far as I can tell, course I
suspect it's not running multi-threaded... how do you tell what Windows is doing? And I
upgraded successfully to the latest BIOS... no help.

I suspect that the board is faulty, but I hate to give up without a fight. CPU runs fine in an Intel
mobo, so it's not the CPU. Memtest86 runs without flagging any errors.

I'm wondering... I've not been able to find much on this mobo, but a few blips about it failing
early. Think I should bail on it and buy something else? or just get it replaced under
warrantee?

Or am I missing something? A jumper or BIOS setting?

Marvin Match