[mythtv-users] Solutions to tuning issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 25 22:04:00 UTC 2006

On 02/24/2006 11:03 PM, Kichigai Mentat wrote:
> I'm having trouble tuning some channels. I've been trying to fine-tune
> a lot of them, but with at least 70 channels, it's quite a tedious and
> annoying task. I'm looking into possible solutions. At the moment, I'm
> using analog cable connected to a PVR-150.

Sounds like your cable company is using HRC and you're not.  In Myth you
can specify the frequency table to use for tuning.  Try us-ntsc-hrc (or,
if not in the US/not using NTSC, choose an appropriate frequency table).

> At the moment, the most logical option is to get a digital cable box
> (we have a digital cable service for the other two TVs in the house),
> and just connect it to the PVR-150 through S-Video, and using either
> the IR-Blaster in the PVR-150, a serial IR-blaster, or a direct serial
> connection, to work the digital cable box.

That's one (rather brute force) approach...

> But I rather dislike working with LIRC. It's always rubbed me the
> wrong way. and I've always considered the possibility of getting a
> High-Def cable box, and using the FireWire port on it to record the
> data. But I'm using an XBox as a Front-End, and we only have Standard
> Definition televisions. The back-end is a low powered Celeron 650 MHz
> with 256 MB of RAM. Is there a way to have a high-def cable box scale
> down to something like 480p, that the XBox could be able to play this
> back?

You could auto-transcode after recording.  Then, 4-16 hours after
recording a 1-hour TV show (depending on hardware), you could watch it.
(In other words, you don't want to do this.)

> Or am I just better off messing with LIRC and learning the lingo?

Yep.  Learning is always good.

> However, I'd be willing to settle for letting MythTV just simply do
> automatic fine-tuning adjustments, like a cable-ready TV sets do. I've
> heard this system is available, but I've been as yet unable to find
> it. I'm running KnoppMyth R5A30.

I don't think there's any way to do this.  You're probably confusing
analog fine-tuning with digital TV channel scanning or something...

Mike