[mythtv-users] XFS crash

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Wed Feb 22 01:13:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:32:54 -0800, yan seiner wrote:
> Tim Tait wrote:
>

>>Yan, you don't say what install you use, Redhat, Debian, etc or what
>>kernel.
>>

> FC-2.  System has been up and running for well in excess of a year in
> its current base config.  The XFS file system was added last week,
> converted from a botched ext-3 setup.
> What surprised me was that the file system was fine one second, and then
> crashed completely and unrecoverably with no explanation.  Googling
> found others with the same experience.

In the early 2.6 kernels XFS had real problems with heavy stack usage if
the kernel was configured for 4k stacks. If you used XFS in conjunction
with lvm or raid then this frequently took it over the 4k - bang!

I can't remember if FC2 was 4k stacks, but I think it might have been. The
problem seems to have been resolved quite a few kernel versions ago now
and mine's been stable for best part of a year.

Cheers,

Martin.