[mythtv-users] Reducing the resolution of HDTV recordings

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Feb 14 21:28:20 UTC 2006

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 01:06:06PM -0800, yan seiner wrote:
>

>>So there is currently no way to transcode for TV recordings?  Is there a
>>way to use an external player?  Either one will do....
>>

>Do you want to permanently reduce the resolution, while leaving the
>program within Watch Recordings' control?  Cause that's what transcode
>will do.

Yes, what I am really trying to do is to reduce the resolution
permanently on the fly, so that the viewer can click on a recording and
watch it.  I want this to be transparent to the user.  In other words,
the user schedules the recording, and comes back at the end of the day,
and there it is, in 740x420 resolution (or whatever...)

My TV only displays 1366x720, I don't have need for anything greater
than that.  Frankly, I'd be happy with DVD resolution....  Right now I
can watch DVDs, movies, and analog TV, but not digital TV.  It results
in instant segfault...  I'm seeing this on both my KnoppMyth frontends.
I still haven't figured out what is going on; if it is hardware or
software.  I've ordered a FX5200 card for one of the frontends, but the
other is non-upgradeable.  I suspect that neither the Matrox G550 nor
the I810 chipset can handle 1920x1080 resolution - and for some reason
rescaling causes a segfault.

Any way to get the front end to log its actions in detail so I can
figure out when it is segfaulting?

--Yan