[mythtv-users] Alternatives to DataDirect?

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 13 23:19:55 UTC 2006

Isaac Richards wrote:
> They've stopped limiting the data (see their forums for the announcement).
>
> However:  Please, don't everyone go out and manually refresh their data right
> now.  Just let myth update it automatically as it normally would.  It won't
> make any difference at all to the data you'll get, you won't miss any
> recordings, and won't cause a bigass spike on their servers.
>
> Isaac

Welcome news.

I have no idea how big a "part of the problem" MythTV users are.  They
simply didn't provide enough information.

That said, it would be terrific if we, as a group, made a strong effort
to be self-policing good citizens.  When the inevitable time comes for
zap2it to make changes to their service (they state in their latest
announcement that the underlying problems remain and will need to be
addressed), our good standing might help shape their solution to be
"mythtv-friendly" (i.e., they already indicate that they like MythTV's
day+1 and day+13 download model; maybe they can offer their service in a
way to encourage (or force) *all* users to do this kind of optimization).

There's been so much information (and perhaps misinformation) thrown
about, I'm not sure it's entirely clear what "best practices" are in
this regard.  For example somewhere (one of the official docs or perhaps
an unofficial how-to) I got the notion that I should run
mythfilldatabase as a cron job.  Which I do.  Which means I am neither
randomizing my download time, nor am I utilizing the acknowledge()
function to be a better citizen.  I've also seen references to shell
scripts that randomize download times.  Perhaps most of these are
leftover from earlier releases where Myth didn't have the automatic
download scheduler feature built in.

I'll go figure out how to move from the cron job to using the built-in
scheduler.

I'm suggesting that there be some high-visibility communication (ie.,
from Isaac would be best, IMHO) explaining the issue and how to comply
with best practices.  As Tom at zap2it mentioned, all those who were
likely to comply with this behavior with a little nudge have probably
already done so.  A highly visible announcement might provide the larger
nudge to move the rest of us, and set the expectation going forward for
new users.  Reviewing installation and howto docs (the rest of us, not
Isaac ;-) to make sure they spell this out would also be a good idea.