[mythtv-users] Nasty shock with Comcast Chicago

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Feb 13 22:27:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:07:20PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 06:20:52AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> >> Of course you could always get a T1 line installed, you can usually
> >> get them for around $800/month these days. I find it amusing that a
> >> lot of folks are "too far away" for DSL, but somehow close enough for
> >> even T3 service if they are willing to pay :-)
> >
> > T-spans are repeatered, and tend to cost $LOTS a mile to engineer in
> > over long runs.
> >
> Yes, I know the engineering factors involved, I've worked for telcos
> in the past.
>
> A very different technology from DSL, but I still find it humorous
> that you can be "too far" for 1.5M but "close enough" for 45M.

Indeed.

> In the past I've played with "dry pairs" (tell them it's an alarm
> line), it's amazing what you can do over them, but there's no tariff
> so performance can't be guaranteed.

Yeah; that's why a lot of LECs will no longer *sell* you dry copper.

> Another trick is to order a 15K equalized audio line, then, after a
> few months, tell them you've decided you only need 5K. Out here at
> least the odds are they will never re-engineer the loop, and you will
> get 15K for the 5K price :-)

Lazy LEC Syndrome.  I know it well.

You don't want to know how many Fujitsu/Orckit ASDL modems I have
laying around.  Carriers fail to collect much pricier terminal
equipment when customers change over, too...

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?