[mythtv-users] Nasty shock with Comcast Chicago

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 13 22:07:20 UTC 2006

On Feb 13, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 06:20:52AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Of course you could always get a T1 line installed, you can usually
>> get them for around $800/month these days. I find it amusing that a
>> lot of folks are "too far away" for DSL, but somehow close enough for
>> even T3 service if they are willing to pay :-)
>
> T-spans are repeatered, and tend to cost $LOTS a mile to engineer in
> over long runs.

Yes, I know the engineering factors involved, I've worked for telcos
in the past.

A very different technology from DSL, but I still find it humorous
that you can be "too far" for 1.5M but "close enough" for 45M.

In the past I've played with "dry pairs" (tell them it's an alarm
line), it's amazing what you can do over them, but there's no tariff
so performance can't be guaranteed.

Another trick is to order a 15K equalized audio line, then, after a
few months, tell them you've decided you only need 5K. Out here at
least the odds are they will never re-engineer the loop, and you will
get 15K for the 5K price :-)