[mythtv-users] Their Baaaacccckkk!

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 19:45:54 UTC 2006

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:11:17PM -0500, Raphael Pooser wrote:
>
>> Good, I'm glad people are reacting like this.  I hope this happens en
>> masse and millions of people stick up their noses to HBO and whatever
>> other network wants to try and control their consumers.  We need to show
>> them, we are the ones giving them the money.  We don't have to give it
>> to them, we are in control.  Damn good thing that things like netflix
>> have popped up for that matter.
>>

> Not entirely. See the CNN piece on Netflix 'throttling' I just posted
> to the wiki's News section.
>
> 	http://wiki.mythtv.org
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Ah yes you are right about that, and I have heard some stories about
this.  My brother said his free trial was great, but once his pay
service began, the faster he watched movies, the slower they came in
from netflix.  Nonetheless, hopfully services like this will get their
act together and compete with the big movie channels.  We need a third
one to come in and light a fire under Blockbuster and Netflix's asses.
The thing I find odd is... I'm fine if people want to protect their
content, but if I pay for it and it comes on at 2:30 AM and I want to
watch it at 12:30 PM while I eat lunch, I should be able to do that -
I'm paying them for it.  In essence there shouldn't be any extra fee for
"on demand" features added to my content.  I think if I add that
capability myself with mythtv, that doesn't make me a pirate - it makes
me getting my money's worth from what I paid.
Raphael