[mythtv-users] Important Cable Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 9 21:56:22 UTC 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Carl Fongheiser wrote:

> On 2/9/06, cweisiger at i-55.com <cweisiger at i-55.com> wrote:
> So i thankful that my pvr-350 wont go to waste.
>
> Is there a card that i can get that can read the
> digital signal of my cable without the need of a box.
>
> Or do i absolutely need the cable box to descramble
> the digital signal from Charter.
>
> At the moment, there is no Linux-compatible hardware that can
> descramble digital cable channels. You'll need the cable box to get
> the digital cable channels.

Not quite true. The HD-3000 card can de-code *unencrypted* QAM256
signals. I've read that 70% of the digital cable signals in the USA
are unencrypted, but Murphy's Law being what it is the signals in
*your* area may well be encrypted.

So far I have been able to get a few digital video channels and a
*lot* of "digital music" channels, which have a pretty much static
video (only changes when the sang does) and thus very low bandwidth.

I haven't got the digital channels working in MythTV (yet), but I can
view them with mplayer.

I *do* pay for digital channels BTW, so I am not "stealing" anything,
just using my own equipment to watch them :-)