[mythtv-users] Live TV and recording - how to use profiles?

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Feb 9 17:11:26 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:

>Profiles are only used for mpeg encoding, so the PVR series of cards
>use them, but straight digital sources like firewire and HDTV streams
>are just copied mpeg streams. It sounds like your trying to playback
>an HDTV stream?

Yes.  I've recorded a show this AM; it plays back using mplayer just
fine although it's a bit large - 2.7 GB for 30 minutes...

>I don't know why the frontends are segfaulting though,
>that sounds like it could be another issue.

I'm away from my setup at the moment.  I really don't need Live TV; I
really want playback of recorded TV.  Right now the frontends segfault
on either live TV or recording playback...  Since mplayer can play those
streams just fine, is there a way to specify an exterrnal player for
recordings?  That way I can just use mplayer and all will be well.  That
way I could at least get this into use while I sort out the
segfault/playback issues.

--Yan