[mythtv-users] Live TV and recording - how to use profiles?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:04:11 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> I am making progress of sorts....
>
> I have a stable backend, it records from both analog and digital OTR
> sources....
> I have 2 tuners; one analog, which works fine, one digital, and it
> causes segfaults in the frontends.
>
> But frontends segfault immediately on trying to watch live tv.  Some
> debugging shows that while I *think* I have my profiles set up to be
> relatively low-resolution (480x480) my frontends are getting the full
> 1920x1022 x 30 fps (sorry, I'm going from memory - whatever the
> resolution is) feed.
>
> I've tried 4 different frontends, with the same result; immediate
> segfault on live tv.  I suspect it is due to the massive amount of data
> coming down the pipe....
>
> I am doing a test recording, and it is recording an 'Arthur' episode,
> dumping about 100MB/minute to the disk.
>
> How do I set up profiles and tell the TV to use the right one?  I can
> easily and reliably show DVD - type resolutions - and frankly, for
> taping news and kid shows that's all I really need.....

Profiles are only used for mpeg encoding, so the PVR series of cards
use them, but straight digital sources like firewire and HDTV streams
are just copied mpeg streams. It sounds like your trying to playback
an HDTV stream? I don't know why the frontends are segfaulting though,
that sounds like it could be another issue.

--
Steve