[mythtv-users] Accuracy of HDTV processor requirements statement in HOWTO

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 20:22:03 UTC 2006

On 2/7/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> > I fooled around for months trying to get HD playback working on a
> > (original) Pundit with 2.8GHz non-HT P4, conncted to a 720p tv.  I
> > tried both with the onboard Sis graphics and with an FX5200 PCI card.
> > But I never could get something satisfactory.
> >
> > Through the 5200, playback was always too slow/stuttery without XvMC -
> > probably maxing out the PCI bus.  With XvMC, I had very low CPU usage
> > but either it would be crashy or lock up occasionally or also be
> > stuttery.  I could play the same file with mplayer w/ XvMC without a
> > problem.
> >
> So you did get 720p content working on the FX200 PCI with XvMC?  I'm
> fairly sure now with the existence of various PCI HDTV capture cards and
> PCI HDTV decoders (MyHD, etc) that hardware accelerated HDTV playback on
> a PCI device is certainly in the realm of existence.  I would imagein
> though, that unaccelerated playback would be difficult.
>
> Kevin

doesn't the PCI bus share bandwidth though? From what remember, one of
the advantages of AGP and PCIX were that they did not share bandwidth
amongst cards, each had a dedicated pathway. I think also that PCI was
only capable of handling 4 cards, and boards with 5 pci slots actually
had two pci bus's, with the 5th pci slot being on a seperate bus from
the first 4.

this could also all be fud + bad memory...

--
Steve