[mythtv-users] Hauppauge MediaMVP

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 6 05:05:24 UTC 2006

On Feb 5, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

>>> Can you automatically skip commercials? Manually FF/REW?
>>
>> Yep and yep.  Very nice.  My daughters were surprised to
>
> I believe the answer to the first question is a NO.  Support
> was added to the Myth protocol to query the commercial skip
> list, but it was never implemented on the mvpmc end of things.
> This is one of the biggest reasons I hardly use mine.  The
> mvpmc can not automatically skip or even manually skip
> commercials using the MythTV commercial skip information.  You
> can however use the FFWD key to skip over a commercial
> manually, but if I liked doing that I never would have written
> commecial detection for Myth.  I have 2 mvpmc boxes and the
> lack of commercial skip is the big thing keeping me from using
> them much.  I'd rather go into a different room to watch a
> recording on a real mythfrontend than have to manually skip
> commercials. :)

Aha, a fly in the ointment.

Of course I could still watch a recording that had been edited and
the commercials removed.

I'm more or less at the conceptual stage right now, trying to figure
out something to do with a pair of MVPs. I'd also like to figure out
what to do with a pair of SMCWMR-AGs that I picked up at an online
auction *very* cheap (anything with H/W mpeg decode and an A/B/G
radio for $10 seems a bargain to me!)

Plus several slugs, (Linksys NSLU2s) and a couple of WRT-54GSs, both
eminently hackable. I may be able to use a Plextor USB capture device
with a slug, it it's fast enough. Those little boxes make great mail
servers and web servers, even decent asterisk boxes.

I suppose if I put another network interface in a box I could use the
MVP simply as an extra video output for watching LiveTV, shouldn't
put much strain on the CPU as all it would have to do is push the
mpeg stream out the RJ-45. I'm assuming the decoder is the same chip
as the PVR-350 or similar? Cheaper than even a 4MX video card and
wouldn't take up an AGP slot.

Much thanks for the info.