[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 3000

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Feb 5 14:27:50 UTC 2006

H P Ladds wrote:

> Yan,
>
> We seem to be working on similar projects -- the main difference --
> you succeed.
>
> I tried to get a dual processor / bt878 system working, but failed.
> I'm relatively confident that a firmware update would fix what ails
> me, and was working on the updates when my HD-3000 arrived, and I have
> a Asus AV8, AMD 64 3500+, 1 gig machine for installation.
>
> Here's what I've found thus far about pchdtv howtos:
>
> Most on point:
> http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/pchdtv/
> http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DigitalTelevisionDVB

Thanks.  I'm new to the world of HDTV/Myth (I've been using Myth 'out of
the box' and this semi-involved setup is new to me)....

> General:
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/
>
> What distro do you prefer?

Right now my backend is on a FC2 server, and the frontends are
KnoppMyth....  I've been thinking of developing a Myth distro (more for
kicks than anything else) - based on busybox (since Myth is really a
single user type app anyway), and just throwing in only those things you
need.  Sort of a KnoppMyth / LFS type of thing.  Base it on Kdrive
instead of full-blown X.  If I could find a Qt developer willing to work
on this, I'd be willing to try it on Qt/Embedded, and run it straight on
an accelerated framebuffer with no X at all....  Build a cross-tool
chain for it, and then writing some automated scripts so it builds
specifically for your architecture/CPU.  I bet you could fit the whole
thing on a smallish flash card < 64 MB, set up the root to be read only,
and run with no local drive at all - and no noise...

Any takers/interest?  :-)

--Yan