[mythtv-users] Slow video on XFS raid 0, ok video on ext3 on single drive.

devsk funtoos at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 19:20:10 UTC 2006

Here is what you need to try: Slowly up (negative higher, 'man renice') the nice value of mythbackend when watching livetv. Stop doing that when the artifacts go away. Record that value and put it in a boot script.

the reasoning: we did a lot of experiments to see how the I/O latency changes with priority of the process. As we increased the priority, the IO latency went down but thruput (number of IOs per sec) also went down. This meant that the kernel was making sure that the higher priority tasks got their IO completed quickly but in smaller chunks. This effect is more pronounced with RAID0 because your latency is the worst case latency of all the drives in the raid. And a 'good citizen' nice value doesn't help backend.

One more thing to try is to remake the raid on hde-hdf or hdf-hdg and see if that
helps (particularly, you have a lot of disks, so backing up and remaking should be no problem). It is possible that one of hde or hdg is dying and suffering huge
latencies. Your PCI card could be a culprit too.

Regardless of whether the renice works or not, get yourself a better PCI card and move to SATA if you've got the dough.

-devsk