[mythtv-users] Help, frontends cannot connect to backend

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun Dec 31 18:05:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 05:24:47PM +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 31/12/06, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So, I suppose the first question is, How does the frontend know the
> > > namee/addeess of the Myth backend to atempt to connect to? Is it stored in
> > > the database (makes sense that it would be, since the backend connects
> > > directly to that).
> > >
> > This info is stored in two places /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and
> > ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt. I believe the latter is used if it exists
> > otherwise myth uses /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt.
>
> The OP must be getting fed up with people telling him this. He's
> already demonstrated at length that his MySQL connectivity is just
> fine and dandy, but his problem is that the FE can't connect to the
> BE.
>
> Stan, run up mythtvsetup on the backend and note what address appears
> under the local backend's hostname. This is the address that any
> frontend wanting to contact that backend will use. This needs to be an
> IP address that is accessible from the frontends - ie not a 127.0.0.1
> or localhost address.
>
> Then check lower down what the 'master backend' address is. This also
> needs to be accessible from the frontends in the same way, and in a
> single BE setup is the same as the address above.
>
> When you had a combined BE/FE, both these would have been set to 127.0.0.1.

Thanks. That got it working.

I had entered the name of the backend machine "panda". Not a FQDN, nor an
IP address in those 2 locations. nslookup from the front ends is able to
resolve the IP using this, and I can ping using this name, and MySQL can
connect using this name, but aparently the Myth front end can't ;-(
Personaly, I'd call this a bug.

But, I'm happy and moving on to the next issues (LIRC, PVR-350 out, sound
on one frontend).

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction on this.

And thanks to the others that replied to this thread, your information WAS
useful to me.

(Dennis Ritchie)