[mythtv-users] Which brand of NVIDIA FX5200?

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Sun Dec 31 01:10:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 12:33:49PM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> On 12/30/06, Phusion <phusion2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am looking into getting a NVIDIA FX5200 card, but am not sure
> > what brand to go with? I see that ASUS and MSI have cards? I would
> > appreciate recommendations. Thanks.
>
> At work I have purchased > 50  nVidia graphics cards for my
> department from around 10 different card manufacturers (ASUS, AOPEN,
> MSI, Chaintech, Albatron ...). However I really do not have any
> recommendations because all have worked well. The only problems I
> have had were fans going bad. I would check newegg.com and find a
> fanless card with high ratings (make sure there is at least 5
> reviews otherwise I take the rating with a grain of salt) and then
> try to get the most bang for your buck on features.

My data point is the fanless Chaintech SH-5200-DVI (or something like
that).

The problem is that many of the photos on many online shopping sites
(NewEgg included) only show reference photos; the photos might not be
of the actual product, so that a picture of a fanless card may
actually be for a fan-ful product, and vice versa.

The worst offender back when I was shopping was eVGA; their home page
showed fan-ful cards (as spec'd) with fanless photos.

--Rob