[mythtv-users] myth setup- ivtv problems

Aaron LaFevers lafeev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 19:32:05 UTC 2006

All,
I'm setting up a mythtv frontend on an old HP.  Im following Jarod's guide
over at wilsonet dot com. Need to warn you that I am 100% new to linux and
have considerable trouble when I run into problems not addressed in the
guide, however I do a lot of reading before asking.  I've reached the point
where installation of ivtv is required, and did the following:
# yum -y install ivtv-firmware
# yum -y install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER

Then added the following to the end of the /etc/modprobe.conf file:
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

I have a PVR-250 and want to use NTSC, so I didn't add any further lines to
modprobe.conf.  I was under the impression that at this point the ivtv
driver was installed, and as per Jarod's next step I loaded the driver with:
# /sbin/depmod -a
# /sbin/modprobe ivtv

After the second line was entered I recieved this error mesage:
FATAL: Module ivtv not found.

After "# rpm -qa | grep ivtv" it returned "ivtv-firmware-1.8a-10.at"  so i
assume it is installed... I even tried Jarod's solution to a different ivtv
problem "echo 16384 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes" which not surprisingly
didn't do a thing for me.

I've checked the archives, and from what I have found no one has really
answered this question, at least not enough for me to understand what needs
to be done.  Help would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know if you need
more information about my setup. Thanks in advance-

Aaron