[mythtv-users] Slimserver, SoftSqueeze & MythTV

Andrew Codrington acodring at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 30 06:49:05 UTC 2006

>Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:52:56 +1200
>From: Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Slimserver, SoftSqueeze & MythTV
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

> ...in relation to lirc, google finds out present thread, but also this:
> http://matt.atomicllama.com/blog/?p=19

I'm resurrecting an old thread in hopes someone has made progress with lirc controlling both mythfrontend and softsqueeze in the same window manager session, or maybe can clarify something for me...

I've had mythfrontend+xine+mplayer working well for a long time with lirc using a MCEUSB2 device. All three are using native lirc support vs irexec or irxevent.

Softsqueeze is running behind mythfrontend on the same machine and is normally controlled via slimserver's web interface.

All works well until the telephone rings while tunes are blaring and someone has to run to find a browser to pause or mute.

I've spent time googling and testing the use of irxevent to drive softsqueeze. There's a softsqueeze section added to my lircrc now and irxevent starts automatically with the xfce4 X session. It starts just before softsqueeze. I left the myth/xine/mplayer sections alone - they're still using their built in lirc support (not irxevent).

Here's a sample button from the lircrc showing the attempt to only send events to softsqueeze while it has focus:

### Play button
begin
button = Play
prog = irxevent
repeat = 0
config = Key x Focus SoftSqueeze
end

Unfortunately softsqueeze isn't responding at all to key presses, even when it has focus. I can see mythfrontend happily responding to all the key presses behind the softsqueeze window. If I then start using the keyboard the keypresses are acted on by softsqueeze as expected.

I tried telling myth to only respond to a keypress if it had focus, but it appears that 'Focus' doesn't work with the native myth lirc support (the key stopped working in mythfrontend):

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Back
    config = Esc Focus mythfrontend
end

My specific question for tonight is: Can myth's native lirc support coexist with irxevent? (e.g. Does it 'hog' the lirc events and not share them with irxevent?)

If the answer is 'no' I'll start looking at softsqueeze command line control and irexec again.

This makes me curious how myth works so well with xine and mplayer's native lirc support, but I haven't found any tips on the wiki or docs yet. (I'm on myth .19).

Thanks in advance for any ideas/thoughts/tips.

Cheers,
Andrew