[mythtv-users] Choppy (and no) digital sound on M2NPV-VM

Bill White raygions at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 30 05:19:07 UTC 2006

Configuring the sound is the part of installing MythTV that makes me wince.  Its probably all in my head, but there you are.  I am currently installing Myth 0.20 FE/BE(primary) on an ASUS M2NPV-VM MB under FC5 (2.6.18-1.2257.fc5smp).  Everything is up and working as expected except for the digital sound.  I purchased the spdif connector for the MB and am using it to feed my (second hand) Harmon-Kardon DPR 1001 receiver.

The Symptoms are:
Using the test player in Soundcard Detection causes choppy sound to come thru the speakers.  I use soundcard detection because aplay does not seem to work.

$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
aplay: main:547: audio open error: No such file or directory

In MythTV I have the audio output set to ALSA:spdif.  The receivers registers a signal, but no sound comes from the speakers.

I thought I would see if anyone had any advice before I began experimenting.

Thanks,
bw

+++++this is my modprobe.conf
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias eth0 forcedeth
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
# sound configurations
options disable_msi=1
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
alias snd-card-1 snd-mpu401
options snd-mpu401 index=1
remove snd-mpu401 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 1 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-mpu401
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 position_fix=1 model=3stack
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-8776
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-8776
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c

+++++and my .asoundrc
# Override the default output used by ALSA.
# If you do not override the default, your default
# device is identical to the (unmixed) analog device
# shown below.  If you prefer mixed and/or digital
# output, uncomment the appropriate four lines below
# (only one slave.pcm line).
pcm.!default {
  type plug
## Uncomment the following to use mixed analog by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
## Uncomment the following to use unmixed digital by default
  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
## Uncomment the following to use mixed digital by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

# Alias for analog output on the nForce2/4 (hw:0,0)
# - This is identical to the device named "default"--which
# always exists and refers to hw:0,0 (unless overridden)
# - Therefore, we can specify "hw:0,0", "default", or "analog"
# to access analog output on the nForce2/4
pcm.analog {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "analog-hw"
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2 card
ctl.analog {
 type hw
 card 0
}

# Alias for (rate-converted) mixed analog output on the
# nForce2 (hw:0,0)
#  - This will accept audio input--regardless of rate--and
# convert to the rate required for the dmix plugin
# (in this case 48000Hz)
pcm.mixed-analog {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2 card
ctl.mixed-analog {
 type hw
 card 0
}

# Alias for (rate-converted) digital (S/PDIF) output on the
# nForce2 (hw:0,2)
#  - This will accept audio input--regardless of rate--and
# convert to the rate required for the S/PDIF hardware
# (in this case 48000Hz)
pcm.digital {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "digital-hw"
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2 card
ctl.digital {
 type hw
 card 0
}

# Alias for mixed (rate-converted) digital (S/PDIF) output on the
# nForce2/4 (hw:0,2)
#  - This will accept audio input--regardless of rate--and
# convert to the rate required for the S/PDIF hardware
# (in this case 48000Hz)
pcm.mixed-digital {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2 card
ctl.mixed-digital {
 type hw
 card 0
}

# The following devices are not useful by themselves.  They
# require specific rates, channels, and formats.  Therefore,
# you probably do not want to use them directly.  Instead use
# one of the devices defined above.

# Alias for analog output on the nForce2 (hw:0,0)
# Do not use this directly--it requires specific rate,
# channels, and format
pcm.analog-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
 # The default value for device is 0, so no need to specify
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2/4 card
ctl.analog-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
}

# Alias for digital (S/PDIF) output on the nForce2/4 (hw:0,2)
# Do not use this directly--it requires specific rate,
# channels, and format
pcm.digital-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
 device 2
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2/4 card
ctl.digital-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
}

# Direct software mixing plugin for analog output on
# the nForce2/4 (hw:0,0)
# Do not use this directly--it requires specific rate,
# channels, and format
pcm.dmix-analog {
 type dmix
 ipc_key 1234
 slave {
   pcm "analog-hw"
   period_time 0
   period_size 1024
   buffer_size 4096
   rate 48000
 }
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2/4 card
ctl.dmix-analog {
 type hw
 card 0
}

# Direct software mixing plugin for digital (S/PDIF) output
# on the nForce2/4 (hw:0,2)
# Do not use this directly--it requires specific rate,
# channels, and format
pcm.dmix-digital {
 type dmix
 ipc_key 1235
 slave {
   pcm "digital-hw"
   period_time 0
   period_size 1024
   buffer_size 4096
   rate 48000
 }
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2/4 card
ctl.dmix-digital {
 type hw
 card 0
}