[mythtv-users] myth transcode cpu usage high

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 28 18:47:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 01:14:17PM -0500, Chris Tepe wrote:
> my myth transcode and comm flagging threads are running at 90+% cpu
> usage.  This is causing the front ends to pause or appear frozen.
> sometimes during play back the will stop all together and loose the
> connection.  I'm running version .20

	You can run the backend at 0% idle and still not cause
delays in the frontend. Just be conservative about how you setup
jobs in terms of cpu usage and maximum concurrent jobs.

	I've been running a script on my backend for about 36
hours that has kept the box at near 0% idle all that time
without any negative impact on the frontend. That job's just
running at a nice level of 10. My other commflag jobs run
at a nice level of 17.