[mythtv-users] Cheapest way to build a frontend?

Jesse Dhillon tobor at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 26 00:23:13 UTC 2006

Marco Nelissen wrote:
> I agree, it *should* be able to deal with this. Have you tried to isolate
> the problem by measuring disk throughput, network throughput and CPU usage
> while doing so? Are you using XvMC?

It seems that the disk throughput is the problem. I get 20-66 MB/s when
watching TV, as measured by "hdparm -tT /dev/sda" whereas others get
200-300 MB/s. I get that much when idling only. No XvMC, and CPU is
consistent with what others get (I am not at home right now.)

There is pretty much nothing I can do to tune a SATA disk in Linux.
hdparm, sdparm and blktool can only read values for SATA, not set them.

Jesse.